Community well-being is strongly reflected in a community’s health care factors and outcomes. The relationship of all sectors of Health Affairs including medicine, social work, physical therapy, occupational therapy, dentistry, nursing, and pharmacy impact overall community health. UNC Rural is proud to support the partnerships and relationships across the UNC Health Affairs and the Office of Interprofessional Education and Practice in partnership connections to address the disparities in health that exist in rural North Carolina.
UNC Office of Rural Initiatives
The Office of Rural Initiatives (ORI) exist to address the health care disparities in rural North Carolina through the recruitment and retaining of a diverse primary care provider workforce to meet the unique needs of our rural and underserved communities.
ORI aims to meet this mission through:
- Educational opportunities in Rural North Carolina
- Recruitment of students from rural North Carolina to the UNC School of Medicine
- Pipeline programs in partnership with community and campus partners
- Exposure to rural and underserved areas of North Carolina
- Advocacy for healthcare inclusiveness and equity
- Mentorship and Support
Programs and Opportunities
To learn more about rural health resources, click here.